This healthy dip gets a spicy kick from a fresh and dried pepper, without adding unnecessary sodium or fat to support your weight loss goals. Feta cheese provides the protein, olive oil provides the healthy fat, and the eggplant itself is great for skin health. Serve as a side, with toasted pita, or as healthy sandwich spread as a delicious part of your Sleeve Gastrectomy diet.
Roasted Eggplant & Feta Dip
Makes: 12 servings/ Serving Size: about 1/4 cup
Nutrition Facts: Calories 75 | Fat 6 g | Carbohydrates 4 g | Dietary fiber 2 g | Protein 2 g
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek
- 1/2 c finely chopped red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, such as jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Agave, as needed
- Place oven rack about in the second to lowest position and preheat broiler.
- Poke a few holes around the eggplant and place in broiler.
- Turn the eggplant with tongs every 5 minutes, until the skin is charred and the flesh soft enough to easily poke into with a knife, 14 to 18 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scrape the flesh into the bowl
- Toss the eggplant in a medium bowl with the lemon juice to help prevent discoloring.
- Add oil and stir with a fork until the oil is absorbed. (It should be a little chunky.)
- Stir in feta, onion, bell pepper, chile pepper (if using), basil, parsley, cayenne and salt. Taste and add agave if the flavor is bitter.
Dr. Kahlil Shillingford is a board certified surgeon who specializes in bariatric or weight loss surgery including the Sleeve Gastrectomy (Gastric Sleeve), Gastric Bypass, and Lap-Band procedures. His patients come from across the state of Florida including Port St. Lucie, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale. To learn more about Dr. Shillingford’s integrative weight loss surgeries and all-inclusive fees please call his office in Boca Raton, Florida at (561) 483-8840.