Weight Loss Surgery Articles including Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, et al. Bariatric surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2004; 292(14):1427-37
- Schauer PR, Ikramuddin S, Gourash W, et al. Outcomes after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Ann Surg 2000; 232(4): 515-29
- DeMaria EJ, Sugerman HJ, Kellum JM, et al. Results of 281 consecutive total laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypasses to treat morbid obesity. Ann Surg 2002; 235(5): 640-5; discussion 645-7.
- Sugerman HJ, Sugerman EL, Wolfe L, et al. Risks and benefits of gastric bypass in morbidly obese patients with severe venous stasis disease. Ann Surg 2001; 234(1): 41-6.
- Wittgrove AC, Clark GW. Laparoscopic gastric bypass, Roux-en-Y – 500 patients; technique and results, with 3-60 month follow-up. Obes Surg 2000; 10(3): 233-9.
- Mattar SG, Velcu LM, Rabinovitz M, et al. Surgically-induced weight loss significantly improves nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome. Ann Surg 2005; 242(4): 610-20
- Christou NV, Sampalis JS, Liberman M, et al. Surgery decreases long-term mortality, morbidity, and health care use in morbidly obese patients. Ann Surg 2004; 240(3):416-23; discussion 423-4.
- Surgerman HJ, Felton WL, 3, Sismanis A, et al. Gastric surgery for pseudotumor cerebri associated with severe obesity. Ann Surg 1999; 229(5): 634-40; discussion 640-2.
- Schauer PR, Brugera B, Ikramuddin S, et al. Effect of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann Surg 2003; 238(4): 467-84; discussion 84-5.
- Eid GM, Cottam DR, Velcu LM. Effective treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 2005; 1:77-80.
Weight Loss Surgery Timeline
- First adjustable gastric band placed via an open technique in 1986.
- First laparoscopically placed adjustable gastric band placed in 1992.
- LapBand made by Allergan obtained FDA approval in 2001.
- Realize Band made by Ethicon obtained FDA approval in 2007.