With the heat of summer, sometimes a cold dinner hits the spot. A cold dinner that can be made ahead is even better. One that can use leftover chicken breast might just be perfect. When grilling or baking chicken breasts, it’s easy to make some extra to use for later in the week. This recipe can transform leftover chicken into a new spicy and creamy meal that’s perfect for an outdoor dinner or BBQ.
The beauty of this low carbohydrate recipe is that it looks elegant, but it’s rather simple to prepare, especially if you are using leftover chicken. The time you save in meal preparation can be used for an after dinner walk or swim, or a trip to the gym. So, not only are you eating high quality protein and healthy fats for dinner, but you can also easily fit exercise into your day to maximize your weight loss success following your gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, or adjustable lap band surgery.
Buffalo Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocado
Adapted from: www.sugarfreemom.com
- 2 avocados, cut in half and pitted
- 3 cups boneless, skinless chopped cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ cup mashed avocado (take from the halved avocados)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Place avocado halves on a serving platter and scoop out some of the center of each to equal the ½ cup mashed avocado you need for the recipe, then set halves aside.
- In a bowl, add scooped avocado and mash it. Add chopped chicken, mayo, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix again. Taste, and adjust spices if necessary.
- Spoon chicken filling into each half of the avocado.
- Sprinkle with extra buffalo sauce, if desired, as a garnish.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for later.
The above is offered by Dr. Shillingford, M.D.,P.A., a board certified surgeon specializing in advanced laparoscopic and obesity surgery. Dr. Shillingford’s bariatric patients come from all over South Florida, where avocados commonly grow, such as Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Orlando. His gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and adjustable lap band patients are often seeking high protein recipes that incorporate the healthy fats and fiber in avocados.